Thursday, August 9, 2007

Homie, why you be frontin'?

Though we all do it, I quite dislike frontin'. For those of you who aren't down with the lingo, according to UrbanDictionary.com, the definition is this:

Urban slang. To put up a facade or make appearances, typically to impress or in some way deceive to maintain image. From 'to front'.
He be frontin' - that Benz be a rental!

We all front. We act differently according to our surroundings but sometimes we can act so out of character that we lose sight of who we are. In front of strangers, co-workers, new acquaintances or that biatch that you have to act civil around, we project a self that's slightly (or very) different from what we are inside. But around friends and family, I think that guard should come down. Though keep in mind that I'm someone that can't choose to hide any kind of emotion even if I tried my hardest.


We're not celebrities or public figures and we don't have to pretend to be anyone else because cameras are around so why do we do it? I think it's a defence mechanism. Like when I'm fighting with a friend, I front like I don't care: "Whatever, I don't give a shit about him/her. They can move to Yemen and I wouldn't give a tiny rat's ass." Five minutes later. "Ugh, seriously ... I don't even know why I was friends with them in the first place." Ten minutes later. "No, I swear, I REALLY don't care!" But of course, you know and I know that if I didn't care, I wouldn't spend half my day bitching and complaining and deep down, the real Flo is actually huddled in the corner of a very dark room, shedding a solitary tear as she bangs her head on the wall and screams "WHYYY GOD WHYYY!?" True story.

One thing I've learned though, is that there is no point in frontin' when you're around your closest friends because if they really are your friends, they know. I'm sorry to break it to you but there's no point in hiding it because you're as see-through to them as a beefy black man wearing a mesh shirt walking down Yonge St. on Caribana Weekend.

So really, let's just take off the mesh shirt and be who we really wanna be, stripped nekked of our fronts, our facades, our cover-ups or whatever you want to call it. Just say no to mesh.


5 comments:

vee said...

holy crap best post ever!!! u didnt draw the cartoon pharrell (however u spell it) did u??!!

i to-to-lly agree. whats the point in frontin with friends. they see right through it anyway. it really is like seeing through a mesh shirt!! we could see the black guy's nipples and stuff :P

and plus...doesnt frontin 24/7 get tiring??

love the drawings as usual. esp ur cute little arms in the air hahaha :D

Unknown said...

Hey, I was going through your blogs (yea, I'm a stalker too =P) but it's good that you've put it all up cuz sometimes I realise these things and I mostly keep it to myself (like the fronting biz) cuz nobody else wants to listen.

It's never been such a big deal with me cuz I felt as long as I wasn't doing it, then that's what matters to me, you know?

You go flo! go beat the world's bs-ers one by one! i'm with u there!

vee said...

who is this michelle person and why are you cheating on me!?!!? :@ (U)

M said...

LOVE the paint drawings.

Unknown said...

hahahaha sorry, vera, it's wai chi =P flo's still yours, not taking you on cuz you're sure to whup my butt hard!