Thursday, August 2, 2007

A few things I've learned this summer...

Sorry guys, no beautiful Paint pictures today. The well of inspiration is dry today.

Most of you know that my summers in Toronto are usually drama-filled and quite eventful (or maybe just that one summer) and I always have so much fun here but I think Vera would agree that this summer is the best summer yet. After visiting Toronto numerous times and spending summers here for three years, I finally packed up all my stuff and moved downtown and so far it's been great. I've been working, hanging out with friends, dancing and going out and I've learned a few things that I'd like to share with my lovely readers (I know who you are muahaha):

Things don't always go as planned but you gotta roll with the punches.
So I had planned on staying in Toronto for at least a year or two to find work but work has not been found and now I'm moving back home to Hong Kong. And on that note, Job hunting is f'ing hard. We all have to adapt and realize that nothing is certain anymore and remember that that can be really exciting! For friends who's lives aren't going according to their "plan," let's take a deep breath together and take a chance on plan b (and possibly c, d and e). But also keep in mind that Life is random, and you never know who you're going to meet and what opportunities might come out of it.

Don't ever walk home alone on a Saturday night if you're not completely sober.
Trust me on this one.

Chinatown is awesome (and features a variety of unique aromas).
Cheap groceries and cheap food, a Chinese person's dream except it ALWAYS smells like garbage day.

I am a HUGE stalker.
I'm going to blame it on the "journalist" in me.

If there's something you've always wanted to try, do it now.
After being a bboy groupie for the longest time, I finally decided to give breaking a shot and I'm SO glad I finally did because I love it. It's hard and I'm constantly aching but I'm determined to keep practicing so I can get better. It's intimidating but it's all about confidence which I'm working on. So if there's something you've always wanted to try, go for it! And you never know who you'll meet, e.g. for me, awesome bgirls and bboys.

Funk is AWESOME.
Herbie Hancock, Earth Wind and Fire, George Clinton and of course James Brown. Get on the good foot!

Parting with your friends is harder than leaving your family.
When I left home for university, it sucked but I knew it was something I had to do. Now that I'm going to be potentially leaving almost all my closest friends in the world, I sure feel shitty. :( :( :( but let's postpone further discussion on this subject until September 16th.

Life is SO much simpler without guy drama.
This summer, there's been no crying over guys, no tension-filled elevator rides with scrawny Irishmen and generally, very little guy related angst. Let us drink to that.

Charlene Miranda makes good tandoori chicken.

There are many many ways to waste time at work.
Job applications, Facebook, texting, BLOGGING, creating artistic masterpieces on Paint, breaking in the office kitchen...the list could go on forever...

And last but not least:

Learn to enjoy the little things in life that make it so much better.
...like commuting to work with your best friend every morning and annoying people with your laughter-filled chatter :)

I am a very happy and thankful girl. Hurray for summer 2007!

3 comments:

Dave Lee said...

I'm glad you've learned the awesomeness that is funk :) I can bring some Quantic Soul Orchestra for you to chizill to.

Monday aft I'm free - I plan on battling Dyzee then. I also plan on eating Charlene's tandoori chicken at the same time, while you record the momentous occasion with your MS Paint talents. I don't care how implausible this scenario is - make it happen!

See ya Friday (i.e. tomorrow)!

P.S. Man I've got way too free much time at work...

Unknown said...

mannn... let's not remind me of char's tandoori chicken... i might just have to kidnap her and hold her hostage in my kitchen.

i think this summer i've been to house of lee (!!) more times than my four years in toronto combined. long live house of lee! :P

and let's not forget baskin robbins. it's love.

vee said...

i love drama-free summers. this one has definitely been great. no drama coming from anyone!! well no boy drama anyway. feels nice.

i don't wanna have someone else as my roomie :( im not gonna be able to be myself in my own house :|:|