Monday, July 23, 2007

Soundtrack to my life

You know how certain songs just have the power to bring you back to a very specific memory or time in your life that you probably would've forgotten otherwise? When I started thinking about this, I realized that most of the songs I could come up with were all "sad" songs...which I guess isn't that surprising because I've had my share of "oh my God, i'm so dramatic and my life is over" moments but I wanted to come up with a couple of songs that bring back some fun memories, because there really should be a balance. However, I take it as a good sign that I can listen to all of these songs now without feeling the least bit emo.

So here are five songs that I associate with some of my dark days (in no particular order):

1) U2 - With or without you
I think this one is a pretty common one. The first time I heard it was on F.R.I.E.N.D.S, when Ross requested it on the radio station as an apology to Rachel. I guess it doesn't need much explanation. It's the typical post-relationship depression song. Good stuff.
2) Tegan & Sara - Where does the good go
Something about these girls that makes me so emo and this song is the emo-est I've heard from them. First heard on Grey's Anatomy I think and it became the number one played song after St*ve. The super duper emo chorus:

Look me in the eye and tell me you don't find me attractive
Look me in the heart and tell me you won't go
Look me in the eye and promise no love's like our love
Look me in the heart and unbreak broken, it won't happen
They even look emo:



3) Savage Garden - Truly Madly Deeply
Now when I think of this song, I actually laugh because I think of what I was sad about during this time: R*y and Ow*n (I told you it was funny). I remember sitting in my room, listening to this song on repeat and crying my little eyes out. That still happens occasionally but this memory is just hilarious. Oh the angst. I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Vera Tong for sticking by me through that very obsessive time during high school.

4) Alanis Morissette - You Oughta Know


Oh Dave Coulier, you sure know how to piss a woman off. My brother was the one to buy the Jagged Little Pill CD, back when Alanis was all the rage. Such a great CD and the best song to scream to. This is as screamo as I get (except maybe The Used). Screaming to this turns the sadness into rage...which can be good.

5) Nsync - I drive myself crazy
How could this list be complete without a super cheesy boyband song? I still love this song and I associate this with pretty much every guy I had a crush on in high school. The gist of it can be summed up in this one line: I drive myself crazy, thinking 'bout you. Seriously, imagine what kind of grades I could've gotten if I wasn't so boy crazy. I really would've been Harvard bound but instead I went to the "Harvard of the North" (I think Simon is the only one who still says that).

6) John Mayer - Slow Dancing in a Burning Room
I said I would list 5 songs but this one isn't exactly a sad one for me. When I first heard it last September, it brought tears to my eyes but John Mayer has always been the one person I listen to that "uplifts" me. I've played this song about 215 times, according to my Itunes and I still haven't gotten sick of it. This song puts me at ease. I love John.

And now, to some songs that bring a big smile to my face and make me want to shake my yellow booty:

1) Mariah Carey - Fantasy





Hands down, my favourite Mariah song. I got this album, on cassette tape, when I was 11 and I remember listening to it over and over and channelling my inner Mariah (yes she exists believe it or not). It's great to hear this one at clubs except I'm not a fan of the remix. I miss the pre-Glitter/meltdown/clothes-wearing Mariah.





2) John Mayer - No Such Thing
No surprise. I heard it for the first time in January of 2002 and have loved him ever since. This song is particularly fitting right now as we all enter the "real world" but as Johnny says: There's no such thing as the real world, just a lie we've got to rise above. I guess it's time for us to test that out and hope that he's right.



3) Green Day - When I come around
This one I heard at church camp! I remember buying Dookie and TLC's CrazySexyCool at the same time after one of my camp counsellors introduced me to pop music of 1994. Very inappropriate for a 9 year old but it sounded good at the time, and still does. Church camp was awesome.

4) Backstreet Boys - As long as you love me, Missing you, I want it that way



I was and still am such a teenybopper at heart. These songs bring back memories of singing (trying to harmonize) with V, watching the vcd/videos over and over and most recently, cruising in Simon's car around campus and scaring the white guy on the bike (Boy Band Bandits HOLLAAA).

5) Random songs at clubs like: Sean Paul & Beyonce - Baby Boy, T.I. - Bring 'em out, Montell Jordan - This is how we do it, Beenie Man - King of the Dancehall, Tony Matterhorn - Dutty Wine
These songs will probably always make me want to dance, except for Baby Boy, which is when I take a timeout to watch Dee dance and as for Dutty Wine, we'll learn how to do it one day, Mo.
There are so many other songs that bring back memories but these are the only ones I could think of. Care to share the songs of your past/and present?

4 comments:

vee said...

HAHAHAH first of all r*y/ow*n. second of all, i love you, so sticking by you is my job, and i hope i can still be that person to you if u plan on getting emo in the near/far future. third. ur whatever bandit thing with simon and dave is HILARIOUS HAHA mostly cos u scared some random white dude. and thats always a good thing...(Y)

Dan Le said...

YES!!! KING OF THE DANCE HALL!!!

Dan Le said...

Nice post btw, you're a very talented blogger! mad english skillzzz

Unknown said...

i would like to say that i aspire to be that dude in the youtube video, and that i can dutty wine very very well... in the safety of my own room. and when no one is in danger of being whipped by my hair. that poor asian boy didn't look half as amazed/spellbound as i would have liked. :P